Counsel - CV - M&A
8 months ago
Legal Counsel - Corporate Ventures - M&A
An exciting opportunity is available within a global organization's VC area wherea corporate is to engage with start-ups: from commercial collaborations or open innovations, to direct minority equity investments or indirect investments through third-party venture capital funds, to setting up incubators or accelerators that ‘house’ start-ups to help them grow.
Accountabilties to include:
- Both leading and supporting legal work related to investments, strategic partnerships / commercial arrangements with the portfolio, and exits.
- Assisting the Director and other colleagues, as required, in preparing recommendations to Committees and/or key stakeholders
- Identifying the major legal, reputational, compliance and corporate affairs issues and risks that may arise, including structuring and contractual issues e.g. process issues, structuring issues, conditionality and required consents (including merger control), issues arising out of diligence / minority ownership, purchase price adjustments, compliance and reputational risk, any ancillary commercial agreements (e.g. IP licencing agreements / product development agreements), announcement and comms strategy etc.
- Assisting in the negotiation of the terms of any transaction and specifically resolving contract negotiations, and leading those negotiations where necessary.
- Effectively managing third party legal support where required.
- Drafting legal documentation or managing the drafting of documentation by external legal advisers.
Skills and experience required:
- Qualified lawyer
- Interest working with start ups
- Familiarity with VC process and key terms used in the negotiation and structuring of transactions or M&A experience
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Experience with advising on investments
- Previous in-house experience preferred, but not essential
- Solid experience in working with start-ups and VC funds would be preferred
- Excellent analytical, team work and commercial skills